Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Top Stitching and Life Done Right

Many of you will agree that if the top stitching looks bad, so does everything else!  MAN!  You do all that work, and then in the last few minutes of what you hope will be complete victory, something ALWAYS goes wrong!!  I, of course having stupid high standards for my self, like to make sure that the top stitching is also in a contrasting/complimentary color.  I don't mean to make life difficult on purpose.  It's just what I like!


Now remember I am still new at all this.  If my brain goes into overload and my eyes glaze over as I'm reading a 'how to'...I'm not going to use that tip.  So here are some tips that I have researched and actually understand:


1. Use a longer stitch length.  Tried it, and yes it helps!


2. Slow down.  Tried it, and yes it helps!!


3. Use the actual presser food as your guide, not the measurement lines on the plate.  
      Tried it, and yes it helps!!!


4. Trim everything as much as you can before folding it right side out and then press it.
      Tried it, and yes it helps!!!!


One thing that I have discovered for myself is that the type of fabric, thread, and needle combo makes a BIG difference.  Can't help you with that one, but I'm sure someone on the internet can :0)  I do practice runs with the fabric many times before I get it just the way I want it.  Even then, no one is perfect. 


This got me thinking (like usual) about life.  How much better would life be if we took it in stride (used a longer stitch length), slowed down, used God (our presser foot) as our guide and not the world (the measurement lines on the plate), and trimmed all the excess.  HA!  Sounds so simple, but even at the sewing machine...application is not as easy as it seems.  So take out your manual again (the B-I-B-L-E) and find the right combination you need to get it done right.


Happy Sewing!  TTYL!

1 comment: